Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kathleen McHugh 069

front

back

"When I first read the instructions on this package, they struck me more as a poetic meditation, than as directions for growing new plants.

As I read: 'Free from soil and earth. Roots removed. Take Shamrock out and revive in water.'

I heard the line from a song: '
Now we're all alive again for we are the Irish' and thought, 'Oh, a Resurrection metaphor!' I found this package in family clutter and have carried it with me throughout my adult life. The ticket was with it. Horrible tragedy is befalling so many people in the world right now.... Africa.... Japan.... I guess that no matter what happens, some of us manage to survive and live to await burial as strangers in a strange land."

website
email

Seattle, Washington, USA

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.